Tuesday 29 August 2023

                                                                                          Davin Unger

Rhetoric

Recitation 4

Fable Exercise

August 29, 2023

Word Count: 380

One day, a Grasshopper was playing in a meadow, when an Ant passed by carrying a piece of grain. The Ant said that he was storing food for the winter, and recommended that the grasshopper do the same, but the Grasshopper laughed at the idea and went on playing. When winter finally arrived, the Grasshopper, finding no food, realized: It is best to prepare for days of need.

One bright summer day, while carrying a hefty piece grain to my home, I noticed a Grasshopper jumping about in the meadow, chirping and singing his heart out, obviously he was under the spell of that wonderful July sunshine, of the green rolling hills and of that pure blue sky. When he saw me, his expression turned from joy to confusion, he instantly left his games and bounded toward me asking what I was doing, I responded that I was gathering food for the long cold winter ahead, "And you would be wise to do the same" I added. But the grasshopper laughed at me, "Don't be ridiculous! Winter is still many months away! And besides, days like this are not for working but for enjoying one's self" and with that, he hopped off into the tall grass singing all the louder. I didn't see him for a long time after that, but when the skies turned grey in mid-November and the snow covered the ground, I saw the grasshopper in the meadow which he used to play in when the sun was warm and the grass green. He was growing thin and losing color, he was now too weak to hop, although his movements were quick and frantic, speaking of urgency, when our eyes met, I realized his desperate state, I had seen that look before in many a poor insect, it spoke of one thing and one thing only: Hunger. I expected the grasshopper to crawl toward me and beg for food, but he didn't move, unlike many a starving fly or caterpillar who screamed and cried for grain, the pail grasshopper, just stared at me as if to say "you were right little ant, I now see that it is better to prepare for days of need."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment